- If you are interested in participating in Panhellenic Primary (Formal) Recruitment in January, registration OPENS September 4 at 9:00AM and CLOSES November 26 (DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED) at 11:59PM. No registrations will be processed or allowed after that date.
- All registration fees/costs are non-refundable.
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements.
- The SMU Panhellenic Council does not require nor manage recommendations. Any recommendations must be submitted directly to the chapters. Please visit the chapter websites for specific information and requirements for each organization. Any recommendations sent to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life will be discarded.
- Traditionally, between 550-600 women will start the primary recruitment process. Historically, about 10 women unfortunately do not receive invitations back to future events during the week. While the recruitment process is not perfect, the numbers indicate that overall, if a woman has an open mind and wants to join an organization - one will be available for her. Too often, though, women go through the process with a narrower opinion. Unfortunately, this attitude poses a real danger for disappointment and should be considered before a woman chooses to participate in the process.
- Legacies (those with relatives who are/were members) are not guaranteed bids. Every year, women who are legacies to chapters are disappointed because they are not given an invitation to membership. Additionally, each chapter has differing policies on how legacies are managed, invited and bid. This can be mitigated by participating with an open mind and realizing that each chapter offers something great in their own unique way.
- While we cannot guarantee a bid, historically women who maximize their options in the formal recruitment process (meaning they attend all recruitment events to which they are invited and rank all available options on preference night) have been matched successfully and received a bid.
- Residential Commons open in early January. Each student should work with their Resident Assistant and Residential Community Director to determine when they can move back in.
- Primary recruitment dates are still being finalized and will be available once set. Students should work with their Resident Assistant and Residential Community Director if they have questions regarding move-in. Please check www.smupanhellenic.com for full recruitment schedule details.
Please visit www.smupanhellenic.com for the latest information about recruitment.
Monday, September 4th, 2023: Primary Recruitment Registration opens at 9AM
Sunday, November 26th, 2023: (DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED) :Deadline to Register for Recruitment in January closes at 11:59PM (late registrations will NOT be accepted)
2024 Formal Recruitment Dates
Dates are still being finalized. The website will be updated once dates are finalized. Students interested in participating in primary recruitment should plan to arrive back on campus by 11AM on Monday, January 8, 2024.
Continuous Open Bidding is the process by which Panhellenic organizations continue to extend bids during an informal recruiting process in both the spring and fall semester to eligible students. This recruitment process in the Fall semester is for upper class women only (those that have completed and passed at least 12 college credit hours at SMU in a long semester (i.e. Fall or Spring).
Interested? Attend the COB Information Session on Tuesday, August 29th at 5PM in the HTSC Auditorium. Questions about the group(s) participating? Monitor the Panhellenic Instagram account (@smupanhellenic) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Registration Fee: N/A